[Feature Proposal] Move Apache Apex website to Jekyll

[Feature Proposal] Move Apache Apex website to Jekyll

Ananth G
Hello All,

Per some JIRA tickets and other PR review comments, having a single
cohesive website along with blogging capabilities seems to be long due for
Apache Apex.

I would like to propose moving the Apache Apex website to Jekyll to address
the following high level concerns:

- Aim to provide a better build experience for the website
- Make it easier to contribute blogs
- Make the approval process easier by making it more markup reliant
- Organise the content better in terms of content layout so that we can
maintain it better.

Here is a "skeleton" preview of the Jekyll based site and compatible with
GitHub pages.
- https://apacheapex.github.io/index.html
- Each page can have a customised sidebar like
https://apacheapex.github.io/architecture.html
and https://apacheapex.github.io/writing_to_kudu_using_apex.html
- There is a menu for blogs giving latest and archived views of blogs.
https://apacheapex.github.io/latestblogentries.html
- Mobile compatible as well.

Here are some call outs regarding the implementation:

- The above url is only a temporary host to showcase the skeleton structure
and will be migrated to the apex-site url as a separate branch once I get
some consensus.
- There is a BSD styled licensed component  that I need guidance on
https://github.com/apacheapex/apacheapex.github.io/blob/master/LICENSE-BSD-NAVGOCO.txt
.
- We will need more contribution from someone who has bootstrap experience
to fix a few aspects on the home page (scrolling powered by section and the
top level Apache Apex header sections)
- The effort is going to span a few months as it is an entire website
migration and there is a lot of content that needs to be collated and
possibly updated as well as we progress
- The site is based on the following project
https://github.com/tomjoht/documentation-theme-jekyll

My ask as part of the approval process:

- A high level approval to the approach
- Agreement on the high level menu and the drop downs at the top - Comments
welcome
- Usage of Jekyll as the main mechanism to generate content
- Commenting is disabled consciously
- BSD styled license inclusion for sidebar NAVGOCO component
- Migration of the content from multiple locations (Malhar documentation ,
Apex Documentation ) into a single cohesive set.
- Altering of the build process for the website - I do not have an idea as
to how compiled content in Jenkins is pushed to apache domain.

May I request if anyone else is interested in contributing to this effort
as well? I will wait for comments for the next 5 days and create JIRA
tickets accordingly.

Regards,
Ananth

Re: [Feature Proposal] Move Apache Apex website to Jekyll

Tushar Gosavi-3
Hi Ananth,

The new pages looks awsome. I would like to collbrate on improving the
website. Do let me know how can I help?

- Tushar.

--
“I'd have blown my top, because I want to beat this damn thing,
 as long as I've gone this far. I can't just leave it after I've found
what is the matter with it in the end."
                Richard P. Feynman

Re: [Feature Proposal] Move Apache Apex website to Jekyll

Thomas Weise-2
Administrator
+1 for website revamp with Jekyll.

Regarding the details:

Documentation is a release artifact that needs to remain decoupled from
other web site content. I would propose to keep the documentation
build/release process out of this effort.

The top level navigation looks a bit crowded. I would suggest to reduce the
number of items. Also, we should discuss what should appear there, to fit
the overall ASF theme.

Thanks

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018, 4:33 AM Ananth G <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> - Agreement on the high level menu and the drop downs at the top - Comments
> welcome
> - Usage of Jekyll as the main mechanism to generate content
> - Commenting is disabled consciously
> - BSD styled license inclusion for sidebar NAVGOCO component
> - Migration of the content from multiple locations (Malhar documentation ,
> Apex Documentation ) into a single cohesive set.
> - Altering of the build process for the website - I do not have an idea as
> to how compiled content in Jenkins is pushed to apache domain.
>

> May I request if anyone else is interested in contributing to this effort
> as well? I will wait for comments for the next 5 days and create JIRA
> tickets accordingly.
>
> Regards,
> Ananth

Re: [Feature Proposal] Move Apache Apex website to Jekyll

Thanks for the feedback Thomas and Tushar.

@Thomas: I am wondering if the javadocs ( if that is what you meant by
documentation being a release artefact ) can be hosted on an external
system ? ( Ex: Flink seems to be simply pointing to ci.apache.org). I will
cut down the top level menu of "Ecosystem". Is there anything else that you
see as crowded ? Also could you please point out what are the
considerations for Apache Theme ?

I have only seen two votes and hence I am in a dilemma whether I take this
forward ?

Regards,
Ananth

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 5:16 AM, Thomas Weise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Comments
> > welcome
> > - Usage of Jekyll as the main mechanism to generate content
> > - Commenting is disabled consciously
> > - BSD styled license inclusion for sidebar NAVGOCO component
> > - Migration of the content from multiple locations (Malhar documentation
> ,
> > Apex Documentation ) into a single cohesive set.
> > - Altering of the build process for the website - I do not have an idea
> as
> > to how compiled content in Jenkins is pushed to apache domain.
> >

> > May I request if anyone else is interested in contributing to this effort
> > as well? I will wait for comments for the next 5 days and create JIRA
> > tickets accordingly.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ananth

Re: [Feature Proposal] Move Apache Apex website to Jekyll

The javadocs are already generated through the CI and the user docs ideally
would be also, see release page for details:
http://apex.apache.org/release.html

The release documentation is linked from the download page:
http://apex.apache.org/downloads.html

I think it would be good to simplify/cut down on the top level navigation.
Regardless, certain items like "Community", "Contributing", "Documentation"
and "Download" should be single click.

I like the structure of the Beam site, just as an example.

Thanks,
Thomas