Maintenance of Bigtop Apex component

Thomas Weise-2
Administrator
Hi,

I recently tried to figure out what is involved in maintaining the Apex
component of Bigtop and related artifacts. The main recurring task is to up
the version, but of course help may be needed for any other reason.

Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for the version upgrade. I
added the following page to gather information for the future:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/APEX/ApexBigtop

Currently the following maintainers are on record for Bigtop:

chinmay <[hidden email]>, aniruddha <[hidden email]>

Are Chinmay and Aniruddha still available for this? Does someone else need
to step up?

I'm looking for the instructions to update the Docker image:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXCORE-730

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Maintenance of Bigtop Apex component

Thomas Weise-2
Administrator
I raised a PR to update the Apex version for the docker image:

https://github.com/chinmaykolhatkar/docker-pool/pull/3

Chinmay, please review/merge. I would also like to be added as collaborator
to that repository.

Can you comment on your availability to maintain the Bigtop related pieces
going forward?

Is there anyone else who wants to step up?

Thanks,
Thomas

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Thomas Weise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently tried to figure out what is involved in maintaining the Apex
> component of Bigtop and related artifacts. The main recurring task is to up
> the version, but of course help may be needed for any other reason.
>
> Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for the version upgrade.
> I added the following page to gather information for the future:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/APEX/ApexBigtop
>
> Currently the following maintainers are on record for Bigtop:
>
> chinmay <[hidden email]>, aniruddha <[hidden email]>
>
> Are Chinmay and Aniruddha still available for this? Does someone else need
> to step up?
>
> I'm looking for the instructions to update the Docker image:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXCORE-730
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Re: Maintenance of Bigtop Apex component

Aniruddha Thombare

I'm currently preoccupied, won't be able to work on this as of now.

_____________________________________
Sent with difficulty, I mean handheld ;)

On 1 Jun 2017 10:23 am, "Thomas Weise" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently tried to figure out what is involved in maintaining the Apex
> component of Bigtop and related artifacts. The main recurring task is to up
> the version, but of course help may be needed for any other reason.
>
> Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for the version upgrade. I
> added the following page to gather information for the future:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/APEX/ApexBigtop
>
> Currently the following maintainers are on record for Bigtop:
>
> chinmay <[hidden email]>, aniruddha <[hidden email]>
>
> Are Chinmay and Aniruddha still available for this? Does someone else need
> to step up?
>
> I'm looking for the instructions to update the Docker image:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXCORE-730
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Re: Maintenance of Bigtop Apex component

Chinmay Kolhatkar
Hi Thomas,

Even I'm currently occupied and won't be able to work on this as of now.
Also, you're already collaborator on docker-pool repository.

-Chinmay.

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Aniruddha Thombare <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently preoccupied, won't be able to work on this as of now.
>
> Thanks,

> _____________________________________
> Sent with difficulty, I mean handheld ;)
>
> On 1 Jun 2017 10:23 am, "Thomas Weise" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently tried to figure out what is involved in maintaining the Apex
> > component of Bigtop and related artifacts. The main recurring task is to
> up
> > the version, but of course help may be needed for any other reason.
> >
> > Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for the version
> upgrade. I
> > added the following page to gather information for the future:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/APEX/ApexBigtop
> >
> > Currently the following maintainers are on record for Bigtop:
> >
> > chinmay <[hidden email]>, aniruddha <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Are Chinmay and Aniruddha still available for this? Does someone else
> need
> > to step up?
> >
> > I'm looking for the instructions to update the Docker image:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXCORE-730
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Thomas

Re: Maintenance of Bigtop Apex component

Sanjay Pujare
Thomas,

I am interested but I want an idea of the time commitment needed. We can
communicate offline if you want.

Sanjay

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Chinmay Kolhatkar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Even I'm currently occupied and won't be able to work on this as of now.
> Also, you're already collaborator on docker-pool repository.
>
> -Chinmay.
>

> On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Aniruddha Thombare <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently preoccupied, won't be able to work on this as of now.
> >
> > Thanks,

> > Sent with difficulty, I mean handheld ;)
> >
> > On 1 Jun 2017 10:23 am, "Thomas Weise" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I recently tried to figure out what is involved in maintaining the Apex
> > > component of Bigtop and related artifacts. The main recurring task is
> > up
> > > the version, but of course help may be needed for any other reason.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I could not find any documentation for the version
> > upgrade. I
> > > added the following page to gather information for the future:
> > >
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/APEX/ApexBigtop
> > >
> > > Currently the following maintainers are on record for Bigtop:
> > >
> > > chinmay <[hidden email]>, aniruddha <[hidden email]>
> > >
> > > Are Chinmay and Aniruddha still available for this? Does someone else
> > need
> > > to step up?
> > >
> > > I'm looking for the instructions to update the Docker image:
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/APEXCORE-730
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Thomas

Re: Maintenance of Bigtop Apex component

Thomas Weise-2
Administrator
Time commitment should not be much, based looking into some of these things
recently. You need some knowledge with build tools, main issue I
encountered was lack of documentation/knowledge sharing.

I completed the 3.6.0 update. The docker image needs some more updates such
as Java version and Bigtop version. There are also some Bigtop JIRAs open
to make the Apex build more robust.

Thomas